Sandra Bernhard at REDCAT
|Sandra Bernhard: I Love Being Me, Don't You?|
Sandra Bernhard performs I Love Being Me, Don't You? this weekend, and through August 21. Check out Amy Lyons' review on Tuesday.
Also check back on Tuesday for all capsule NEW THEATER REVIEWS seen over the weekend. In addition to Sandra Bernhard, these include Devil's Love at Midnight over at Zombie Joe's Underground; Dolls!, Evelyn Rudie and Chris DeCarlo's new musical at Santa Monica Playhouse; Sarah Kane's 4.48 Psychosis, presented by City Garage Bergamot Station/Track 16, also in Santa Monica; the latest Groundlings sketch comedy offering, Live Nude Groundlings, over at the Groundlings Theatre; Michael Cilnis' The New Girl from the Former Mrs. ___, presented by
GRANTS FOR INNOVATIVE STRATEGIES TO FULFILL ARTISTIC MISSIONS, NOW AVAILABLE FOR L.A.-BASED NON PROFIT THEATERS
From the Sheri and Les Biller Family Foundation:
As a grant-maker devoted to active philanthropy, The Sheri and Les Biller Family Foundation is committed to staying in touch with our grantees in the theatre community and providing new opportunities for organizations to sustain and enhance their artistic activities.
We are proud to announce a new award for small Los Angeles-based non-profit theatres in recognition of their innovative strategies to fulfilling their mission. The Foundation seeks to support exceptional theatre organizations that have given significant thought to their long-term viability and who have distinguished themselves from other Los Angeles theatres.
The Biller Family Foundation will reward organizations with general operating grants varying in size from $2,500 to $10,000. Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria: 1) demonstration of the organization's ability to think creatively and aspirationally and 2) quality of how ideas are articulated. Unlike previous Biller Family Foundation theatre funding, this award is not limited to theatre organizations serving young audiences.
Who Can Apply?
1. Non-profit theatre organizations based in Los Angeles County
2. Organizations with an annual operating budget for the most recently-completed fiscal year with income of more than $100,000 and less than $1.5 million
3. Organizations that have completed the California Cultural Data Project and the LA Stage Arts Census
4. Organizations with a history of at least two consecutive years of producing and/or presenting theatre to Los Angeles County audiences
September 16, 2011: Proposals due by 5 p.m. via email to inquiries@
September 19 - Proposals reviewed, organizations contacted with any follow-up
October 28, 2011: questions.
November 4, 2011: Grantees announced and donations made.
Application Should Include
Note: Narrative for Items 1 - 8 should be no more than four pages
1. Legal Name of Organization and Tax ID Number
2. Address Information, Online Information if Applicable - Website, Facebook, Twitter
3. Primary Contact for this Application: Name, Title, Phone Number and Email address
4. Mission Statement of Organization
5. Staff: What is the staff structure for any paid theatre staff? Note full-time vs. part-time staff and include 1-paragraph bios for the organization's artistic leader(s).
6. Community/Core Audience: Who does your organization primarily serve? What is the number of individuals your organization interacts with on an annual basis? How are you reaching out to various members of your community?
7. Mission Fulfillment and Organizational Relevance: What activities will your theatre engage in between November 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 to fulfill its mission? How do these activities distinguish your organization from others? How do these activities keep your organization relevant to the citizens of Los Angeles County? Include information about your process for making artistic decisions.
8. Sustainability: What factors threaten your organization's vitality? What solutions has your organization implemented that demonstrate how you stay relevant and ensure your continued existence?
9. Copy of Board-approved Budget for Current Fiscal Year with Written Explanations when Appropriate
10. Copy of 501 c-3 tax-exempt status letter
11. Copy of Audited Financial Statement for most recently-completed fiscal year.
12. Artistic Documentation Sample. Please include a video sample of the organization's work, not to exceed 4 minutes in length. The sample can be submitted as a YouTube link, or a DVD.
How Award Funds Can be Used
* Award funds cannot be used to fund new staff positions.
* Award funds cannot fund the purchase or construction of a theatre venue.
* Award funds must cover expenses for activities around artistic programming must takes place between November 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 (and can extend beyond this timeframe).
* Do not call the Biller Family Foundation with questions about your application.
* Please email inquiries@
Phone: 310.443.3458 | Fax: 310.443.3460
10877 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1703
Los Angeles, CA 90024