Eight South L.A. Middle School Students Get Ill After Eating Chocolate Possibly Laced With Marijuana
Eight South L.A. Middle School students passed a chocolate bar around, and all eight fell ill, according to the city fire department and district officials.
Marijuana candy seized in a drug bust (file photo).
What was in it? A Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman said it possibly could have been marijuana, but the answer's not yet clear.
The incident was reported at George Washington Carver Middle Middle School (4410 S. McKinley Ave.) at 8:40 a.m, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott.
Scott reported that it was possible the kids "ate marijuana brownies."
Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman Patrick Sinclair told the Weekly the culprit was actually a chocolate bar that one of the students said he purchased at a skateboarding shop before school.
The children "had accelerated heart rates and high blood pressure," Sinclair said. They were taken to County-USC Medical Center.
Scott said the kids, ages 11 to 13, were in "fair condition."
LAUSD sent two spokespeople to the school to handle media interest.