Andy Irons, Surfing Champion, Died With Meth And Cocaine in His System -- Report
Pro surfing champion Andy Irons apparently died with meth and cocaine in his system late last year, according interpretations of an autopsy report obtained by the The New York Times.
Facebook. Andy Irons.
The 32-year-old was found dead in a Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport hotel room Nov. 2 during a stop on his way home from a Puerto Rican surf contest he had pulled out of.
Despite the presence of drugs, Irons' cause of death was listed as ...
... a heart attack. But drugs might have contributed to his demise.
The report would confirm sightings of erratic behavior from the part of the three-time world champ from Hawaii, who sat out the 2009 Association of Surfing Professionals tour.
The Times states that coronary artery disease and "acute mixed drug ingestion" led to his death. Authorities found prescription anxiety drug Alprazolam, sleep aid Zolpidem, and tablets containing methadone in his hotel room.
The paper adds that " ... toxicology tests showed Irons also had cocaine and methamphetamine in his system."
A medical examiner hired by the family second-guessed the assertion that Irons' had narcotics in his system, but a statement from the Irons clan admitted that he struggled with "recreational drugs" in his lifetime.