Rave Promoter Insomniac States it Had Nothing to do With DJ Kaskade's Flash Mob Performance on Hollywood Boulevard
The promoter behind Wednesday's screening of Electric Daisy Carnival Experience, its documentary about the controversial rave that moved from Los Angeles to Las Vegas following crowd and drug problems last year, says it had nothing to do with a DJ's flash-mob-like performance on Hollywood Boulevard that ended with riot cops sweeping up the street.
Erika Raney, spokeswoman for EDC promoter Insomniac events said, " ... In no way was Insomniac at all aware of - or involved in - the planning of Kaskade's 'block party.'
Raney says the promoter did plan to have performances on the red carpet Wednesday, but a DJ session was not part of the festivities. " ... We did plan for a red-carpet experience that included Cirque du Soleil-type performers signature of our EDC event (to interact with VIPs on the carpet, etc)," she said.
Superstar DJ Kaskade's afternoon tweet about a free block party near Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue before the 7:30 p.m. screening drew about 800 ravers who flooded the intersection after he showed up DJing atop a moving truck equipped with a sound system. Dancers of the kind often employed by Insomniac for its massive raves accompanied the truck.
As ravers flooded the street, police had to shut down Hollywood Boulevard. A group of stubborn DJ fans stood off with officers in riot gear into the night before dispersing after 9 p.m. Cops said a patrol car was damaged by vandals and that rocks and bottles were thrown at them. Video depicts at least one fight breaking out during the ruckus. Three people were arrested.
Invitees were originally told Insomniac was hosting the Grauman's premier of the film, which features Kaskade prominently.
But the venue Supperclub, which we were told is owned by the same folks who own the Chinese Theater, took out the permit for a red-carpet curbside lane-closure. And a permit service source told us that having Kaskade make a grand entrance with music and a truck was planned as early as Wednesday morning.
Michael Duddie, general manager of Supperclub, told the Los Angeles Times that he had booked Kaskade for the premier's after-party at the club that night but did not, in the Times words, "organize his film entrance."
(So who did?).
That claim conflicts with what a Bureau of Street Services spokesman Richard Lee told us, namely that a permit for the red-carpet screening was taken out in the names of Supperclub and Kaskade (actually we were told it was spelled "Cascade").
Our permit services source says the DJ was to be a prominent feature of the event all along.
Supper Club and Insomniac seem to be pointing the finger at Kaskade for what went wrong, specifically at his tweet advertising a free "block party." One commenter at a previous post suggested the stunt was aimed at drumming up support for this year's DJ Magazine Top 100 DJs online poll, which recently launched.
Perhaps. This much is clear to us: A-list DJs don't often rent their own trucks, set up their own sound systems or hire their own dancers.
Insomniac came under fire after last year's 160,000 strong rave at the Coliseum after a 15-year-old attendee who had taken ecstasy died of an overdose. While the public Coliseum Commission had indicated it won't support EDC's return, Insomniac honcho Pasquale Rotella has said he wants to come back.
LAPD detectives are investigating what led up to Wednesday's events.
[Added]: Kaskade tweeted these sentiments Friday afternoon:
I am in this really weird spot between sad and pissed off. #fortherecord - I had the permits.