The 'Keffe D' Tapes: 10 Highlights of Confession From Gangster Who Says Sean Combs Hired Him to Kill Tupac
5. Investigators ask Keffe D when the animosity between Bad Boy Entertainment and Death Row Records first began to fester.
Detective Dupree: "Did Puffy have a place out here [in Los Angeles]?"Keffe D: "He used to stay if Shug was outta here. ... He was scared shitless."Detective Dupree: "So that beef had started by then?"Keffe D: "No, it started when they went out to that award show..."
4. By Keffe D's account, Zip, Combs and himself discussed the hit on Shakur once at a concert in Anaheim and "a couple of times" at Greenblatts Deli on the Sunset Strip.
Detective Kading: "Tell us what happened that made it something other than just him frustrated and boasting -- 'Man, I'll give you guys anything.' What made it specific, like, 'Hey, I'm serious, I want you guys to kill these guys'?"Keffe D: "When he told me at Greenblatts."Detective Kading: "How'd that go, like what was the conversation?"Federal agent: "And who's 'he'?"Keffe D: "Puff."Detective Kading: "How's the conversation go? ... We need really specific details regarding that."Keffe D: "We wanted a million."Detective Kading: "All right, so you meet him at Greenblatts. For lunch or dinner or what?"Keffe D: "This was dinner, in the evening."Detective Kading: "Who else was there?"Keffe D: "All of us -- Corey, everybody. All our crew."Detective Kading: "Everybody's hearing this conversation between you and Puff?"Keffe D: "He was talking to me. ... When we got there we was laughing at him, cause he was with this broad that sucked dick, and sucked every dick in there, and he's all held up kissing with her. We was laughing like a motherfucker. He's like, 'Man, what you laughing at dog?' Man, don't just come out here and get any broad, dog. ... He took me downstairs and he's like, 'Man, I wanna get rid of them dudes, man.' ... I was like, 'We'll wipe their ass out quick, man. It's nothing.'"
3. The motivation behind Combs' alleged order to kill Knight and Shakur, says Keffe D, was fear that the other side would strike first.
Detective Dupree: "When [Combs] asked about [Shakur and Knight], would he always say both of them?"Keffe D: "He added the boy [Shakur] on after he made a record."Detective Dupree: "Before that it was just Suge? And then after 'Hit 'Em Up' came out?"Keffe D: "Yeah, yeah, that pissed [Combs] off."
2. Keffe D says he's known Suge Knight since childhood, growing up on the streets of Compton. So when Keffe D first started hanging out with Combs, he says the Death Row boss kept badgering him, like, how you meet them guys? "Same way I met you, motherfucker," he remembers answering. (Aka, the drug trade.) Making the moment they lock eyes during the 1996 shooting even more dramatic:
Keffe D: "We came up Harmon, got to Las Vegas Boulevard, and shit, here he come in that BMW. ... Broads like, 'Tupac! Tupac!' and we like, 'There they go!' Made a U-turn, we wasn't supposed to make a U-turn. ... And they was in the middle lane, and we just pulled up on the side and checked every car to see where they was."...Detective Kading: "So Lane starts blasting and Suge looks over and sees you?"Keffe D: "Yeah."Detective Kading: "He looks right at you?"Keffe D: "Yeah, he looked at me. ... We've known each other since we was seven or eight years old."Detective Kading: "He looks over at you, and then, Tupac's busy getting shot -- story is tupac's either trying to get out of the way..."Keffe D: "He's in the backseat or something."Detective Kading: "What do you see happening?"Keffe D: "I see the bullet go in Shug's head. I thought he was dead. I thought he was dead. It must have scraped him or something, in the head or something. ... I thought he was dead."
1. Most ironically, Keffe D says he never got the money Combs had allegedly offered him. Word on the street, according to Keffe D, is that Combs gave half the reward to Zip (seeing as Suge Knight was still alive), and Zip never relayed it back to its rightful owner. This might have been the fateful mistake that led to Keffe D's confession:
Detective Kading: "Since you've been out of prison, have you talked to Zip?"Keffe D: "Not one time."Detective Kading: "What about Puffy?"Keffe D: "Not one time. I tried to call them several times though ... If he would have just given us half the money, I would have stayed strong."