Amanda Sorensen's 2-Year-Old Died After Eating Chili Powder: Accident Or Abuse?
Amanda Sorensen, a young Southern California mother, awaits her fate in jail today after her 2-year-old girl died in a bizarre tragedy.
Authorities say Sorensen, 21, fed her daughter chili powder, leading to hospitalization and ultimate her last breath.
Christopher Lee, a spokesman for the San Bernardino County District Attorney's office, told us that ...
... no charges had been filed but that "something could change with that case" today.
Sorenson was due in court today: The D.A. has to file or let her go at this point, it seems.
Here's what the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department alleged happened:
On Sunday at 4:16 p.m. deputies were called to Sorensen's home in the 20000 block of Cayuga Road in Apple Valley following a report that the girl suffered a seizure as a result of having eaten chili powder.
After the girl was pronounced dead at a hospital, homicide detectives were called in.
On Monday morning Sorenson was arrested on suspicion of "child abuse resulting in death" and jailed in lieu of a half-million dollars bail.
The big question, of course, is, was it an accident? Authorities say an autopsy was ordered. But toxicology results typically take more than a month to materialize.
Meanwhile cops want to hear from you if you have any information about the case: 909-387-3589.
[Update at 2:20 p.m.]: Lee of the D.A.'s office told us this afternoon that charges have been filed against Sorensen and that her arraignment was scheduled tomorrow.
According to prosecutors' complaint, she was charged with murder and "assault on a child causing death."
[Added at 1:12 p.m. Thursday]: KNX 1070 Newsradio reports that the suspect pleaded not guilty today.