Jonathan Reyes' HARD Summer Death Was Not Due to Molly
The death of a 21-year-old man at the HARD Summer festival in downtown L.A., which authorities originally believed to be ecstasy- or molly-related, was a result of purely natural causes, a coroner's official told the Weekly today.
HARD festival photo by Timothy Norris for LA Weekly
Jonathan Reyes collapsed the night of Aug. 3 near the Harder Stage in an event witnessed by some. A fire official said he "was found unresponsive, pulseless and non-breathing at the venue:"
A police official said an MDMA overdose was suspected. However, following toxicology tests, which take as long as eight weeks to complete, coroner's officials say no drugs were in his body.
Rather, says coroner's Lt. Fred Corral, Reyes died of natural causes, namely a heart attack.
"It was due to a ruptured aortic aneurysm," he said. He died "due to the aneurysm blood clot, which ruptures due to pressure."
See also: Man Dies at HARD Summer Festival.
He called it a case of "natural causes" and said the young man had Marfan syndrom, a hereditary condition that affects connective tissue, including heart valves, in tall people; that played a contributing role in Reyes' death.
Damn. I saw a guy die before I played my set. Heavy.— FLYLO FM (@flyinglotus) August 4, 2013
The young man had been rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead that night.
HARD is an annual festival at Los Angeles State Historic Park that features top electronic dance music acts.
The death was followed by at least four overdose deaths at East Coast dance music and club events believed to be tied to ecstasy. At least one of those was later attributed to the ecstasy-like drug methylene.