Top 10 Cocktails Inspired by Los Angeles + A Mulholland Drive Cocktail Recipe
The Beachcomber Cafe The Beachcomber's Surfrider Cocktail
New York has the Manhattan, Moscow the Moscow Mule. Even Long Island has a cocktail named after it. But what is Los Angeles' signature cocktail? Something to immortalize the City of Angels in drink? Fortunately, local bars, whether inspired by a famous boulevard or a moment in our city's history, have created cocktails to honor L.A. Here are our top 10, listed in alphabetical order.
1. Alvarado Street at Little Dom's in Los Feliz: El Jimador Silver Tequila, cinnamon-infused agave syrup, lemon juice, lime, cinnamon and tangelo. This cinnamony drink is a tribute to the major north-south thoroughfare the restaurant is located near.
2. Brown Derby at the Edison Downtown: Woodford Reserve Bourbon, clover honey and grapefruit. The chain of Los Angeles restaurants of the same name was made famous by the stars who regularly dined there and is commemorated in cocktail by mixologist Marcos Tello.
3. Off Vine at Delphine in Hollywood: Ciroc Vodka, agave nectar, fresh basil and green grapes. Simply put, the cocktail is the namesake of this new Hollywood restaurant's location, which is just off the historical Hollywood/Vine intersection.
4. Roh-Dee-Oh at Bar210 in Beverly Hills: Hendricks Gin, mint, lime juice, simple syrup and ginger ale. To keep in theme with spelling phonetically, Bar-Two-One-Oh christened its drink, named after the touristy shopping destination, the same way.
Dave Falco Bar210's Roh-Dee-Oh Cocktail.
5. Santa Monica Gimlet at Copa d'Oro in Santa Monica: Tanqueray Gin, celery, cucumber and lime juice. Mixologist Vincenzo Marianella created what is essentially Santa Monica Farmers Market in a cocktail glass.
6. South of No North at Roger Room in West Hollywood: Bombay Dry Gin, Hennessy V.S., all spice dram and fresh lemon juice. Recently added to the Roger Room's menu, this nod to L.A. culture and history is named after L.A. author Charles Bukowski's short stories collection.