A Round-Up of L.A.'s Pumpkin Dishes, Drinks & Desserts + John Sedlar's Recipe for Pumpkin Mezcal
Autumn Pumpkin Mezcal Cocktail
From: John Sedlar, chef-owner of Rivera.
Note: You can subsitute 1 small can pumpkin puree for the whole pumpkin.
1 750ml bottle good quality Mezcal (Preferably Del Maguey Chichicapa)
1 small tender pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 vanilla bean, split down the middle
2 tablespoons grated piloncillo (unrefined Mexican brown sugar)
1 cup heavy cream
allspice, to taste
cinnamon, to taste
pinch of granulated sugar
1. Toss the piloncillo and cubed pumpkin (or pumpkin puree) in a large bowl until coated. Layer a sheet pan with aluminum foil and place the pumpkin in the center. Cover with another layer of foil and cook in a 400 degree oven until pumpkin is tender, about 90 minutes. Remove and set aide to cool.
2. Place the cooled pumpkin in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
3. Combine the pumpkin, mezcal and scraped vanilla bean in a glass container and macerate for 3 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
4. Sieve the mixture through a coffee filter to remove the pumpkin pulp and the vanilla bean. Return the liquid to a decorative decanter.
5. In a small bowl, whip the crème until peaks form then add a pinch of sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Fill a caballio glass (tall, narrow shot glass) with pumpkin mezcal and top with a dollop of spiced cream.
Christie Bishop also blogs for PardonMyCrumbs.com.