A Recipe From The Chef: Ray Garcia's Quinoa Salad With Orange Blossom Vinaigrette
When we talked to Fig chef Ray Garcia earlier this week, he told us about cooking for small dogs in large handbags (not his handbags, or dogs for that matter) and the evolution of bacon-wrapped-bacon (get the recipe here).
starchefs.com Quinoa Salad At Fig
Lately Garcia has been focusing on teaching high school kids how to love heirloom tomatoes and homemade mozzarella and just say no to Doritos -- something he says is a lot harder than he expected. They may not be quite ready for quinoa salad with apples, Swiss chard and orange blossom vinaigrette. But we are. Turn the page for the recipe.
¼ cup orange blossom honey
1 cup orange juice
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1. Reduce orange juice by one-third. Allow to cool.
2. When orange juice has cooled, mix all ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
3½ ounces red quinoa
1 cup vegetable stock
1 sprig rosemary
2 ounces haricots verts
½ Granny Smith apple
2 ounces Swiss chard
2 ounces butternut squash
1 ounce sliced almonds, toasted
1. Cook quinoa in vegetable stock and a spring of rosemary. When cooked, drain the quinoa and toss with a little olive oil.
2. Cut butternut squash into ½ inch cubes and roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
3. Saute the apples, Swiss chard and blanched beans.
4. Mix roasted squash and sauteed ingredients with quinoa and dress with vinaigrette.
5. Garnish with toasted almonds.