Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 2/7-2/11
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "The fetish object of the week? My money's on the uni goma tofu at the new Aburiya Toranoko in Little Tokyo, which is to say a smallish cube of firm, blackish tofu made from ground, toasted sesame seeds, served in a shallow puddle of soy and topped with a lobe of sea urchin roe." First Bite: Aburiya Toranoko, or Lazy Ox's Cardenas Branches Out.
- "Paul Reiser loves to eat. When we did "Mad About You," sometimes he'd just look at me and go, "Phillipes?" and then we'd get on the I-10 and drive straight there." Q & A With John Pankow: Showtime's "Episodes," Illicit Guanciale and A Proper English Fry-Up.
- "What one of our most capable drinking companions calls 'the strip club smell,' this pervasive odor hangs over the room like a lampshade." A Tale of Two Culver City Dives: Roger's Exciting Tattle Tale Room and The Scarlet Lady Saloon.
- "We go there to watch the chef form fried rice into the shape of Mickey Mouse's head." Benihana Sues Blogger for Bad Review.
- "1,800 pounds of dover sole. 1,200 Kumamoto oysters. 1,000 spiny lobsters. 500 pounds of smoked salmon. 40 pounds of caviar. 10 pounds of black truffles. 6 Spanish hams." Truffles, Caviar & Cupcakes: 2011 Oscar Food Preview Photo Gallery.
- "It was as if Bon Jovi was about to take the stage." Food Inc.: Michael Pollan and Eric Schlosser Discuss Food Safety, Walmart and How to Feed the World.
- "Forget meals taken as pills, in The Future whole meals will be eaten in courses of cupcakes." Meatcake or Cuploaf: The Meatloaf Bakery.
- "I don't know what Gwyneth Paltrow eats after a show, but here in OK, we eat FRIED EVERYTHING." Will Tweet For Fried Food: On The Road With A Hungry Kathy Griffin.