A Recipe From the Burger King: Adam Fleischman's Pasta Rags with Marsala Sauce
A. Armstrong Adam Fleischman's pasta with Marsala sauce
As readers learned in the second part of Squid Ink's recent interview with Umami Burger's Adam Fleischman, the burger king (can we call him that?) likes to maintain a sense of adaptability in his projects. That adventure and experimentation is as present in his home kitchen as it is in his professional projects. The recipe Fleischman shares here -- rich pasta with veal -- happened on accident one day when he found himself with leftover veal marsala and hungry mouths to feed.
"I find dishes with rich stocks are the best home comfort food," the restaurateur (5 Umami Burgers and counting) tells us. Anything with those umami characteristics seem pretty comforting -- which might explain some of Fleischman's success. Turn the page for the recipe.
Pasta Rags with Marsala Sauce
From: Adam Fleischman of Umami Burger
Makes: 4 servings
2 pints chicken stock
2 veal shanks (osso buco)
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2 cups wild mushrooms (chanterelle, shiitake &/or porcini)
1/2 cup good quality Marsala wine
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 lb homemade pasta, uncut
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
shaved truffles (optional)
1. Sear veal shanks on both sides over medium-high heat.
2. Pour chicken stock into a saucepan and add the veal shanks. Braise for two hours, until veal meat is tender and the broth is reduced by half. Let cool.
3. Pull meat from bones and set aside. Discard bones.
4. Heat oil in a saute pan and add mushrooms. Sear until crispy, then add Marsala and simmer until reduced by half. Season with the rosemary and thyme sprigs. Add reduced stock with veal meat and simmer together for a few minutes. Turn off heat and add butter. Remove herb sprigs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. While mushrooms are sauteing, boil pasta sheets until al dente. Tear freely. Put in new pan and toss with warm sauce. Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and microplaned Parmesan. Can add truffles if desired.