10 Favorite Food Quotes in Simpsons' "The Food Wife"
The food media world was chomping at the bit to see last night's highly anticipated Simpsons episode. "The Food Wife" has Marge, Lisa and Bart write a food blog called The Three Mouthkateers as they make their way through the surprisingly eclectic Springfield food scene. There are snotty foodies and bloggers, celebrity chefs real (Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay lent their voices) and imagined (the chef at Springfield's hot molecular gastronomy restaurant was an amalgam of Ferran Adrià and José Andrés, according to executive producer Matt Selman), and a nod to the Anton Ego's moment when he has that first bite of ratatouille in Ratatouille. Plenty of insider jokes at foodies' expense season the episode.
So was it as funny to a non-food-world person as it was to someone who could identify each culinary personality in Marge's dream (check out #3 below)? Safe to say, yes; it is still The Simpsons, after all. For foodists, the whole episode is entirely quotable -- we're sure it will be in the food blogosphere for years to come -- but here are at least 10 favorite quotes:
10. "They're using pancakes as spoons!" -- Lisa, ogling diners in (what's obviously L.A.'s) Little Ethiopia.
9. "That's good gloop!" -- a party in Marge's mouth, after her first bite of Ethiopian food.
8. Foodie #1: "We discovered Korean barbecue in this town."
Lisa: "Uh, before the Koreans?"
Foodie #2: "Oh, sure, they cook it, but they don't get it."
7. "Alright, food nerds. Reality check: All the food in those pictures is poop by now. Minds blown. You're welcome." -- Homer, trying to burst the new food bloggers' bubble
6. "Pine needle sorbet? Pine needle sorbet?! My kids do NOT eat sorbet. They eat sherbet, and they pronounce it sherbert, and they wish it was ice cream!" -- Homer, after Lisa shows him a video of the chef from El Chemistri make pine needle sorbet
Courtesy 20th Century Fox