King Torta: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 22)
If you only eat one al pastor torta in Los Angeles, make it from King Torta. This sandwich shop on the border of Lincoln Heights and El Sereno doesn't win any points for presentation, either in their decor or their sandwich. From the outside, the beige stucco building looks completely unremarkable. Inside, it's all white tiles, Formica booths and the reek of antiseptic. By all rights, it ought to be another run-of-the-mill fast food joint. Instead, King Torta makes a regal sandwich.
Guzzle & Nosh Al pastor at King Torta.
The sandwiches are cheap, only $5. There's no fuss, no pretension. They're big and messy, the Sloppy Joe of sandwiches. The bread is soft and doughy, almost undercooked, layered with chunks of juicy, not too fatty al pastor, shredded lettuce, avocado slivers and tiny chopped onions. The hot sauce is bitter and red; one taste of it, and we wondered how we had ever eaten our torta without it. What really makes the sandwich is the meat. King Torta's al pastor is tender and rich with a hint of sweetness, bathed in its own juices and flecked with copious chili seeds.
Guzzle & Nosh Guacamole fries from King Torta.
Sure, there are other things to eat at King Torta. The heaping nachos are a favorite for many, as are the guacamole fries piled with tart, gooey green stuff. We, however, yearn for one thing. A torta, a torta! Our kingdom for an al pastor torta!
- Day 21: Brisket at Gjelina
- Day 20: Banh Mi at Spice Table
- Day 19: Tonkatsu Sandwich at Wako Donkasu
- Day 18: Panini at Angeli Caffe
- Day 17: ink.sack
- Day 16: Tuna Salad at Luca's Fresh Bites
- Day 15: PBJ at Joan's on Third
- Day 14: Larder at Maple Drive
- Day 13: Hot Mamma Pastrama Locali
- Day 12: Pastrami at Langer's vs. Oinkster
- Day 11: The Hat vs. Johnnie's Pastrami
- Day 10: Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich at Pann's
- Day 9: Po'boys at The Gumbo Pot
- Day 8: Waffle Sandwich at Shaky Alibi
- Day 7: Kobb Salad Sandwich at Kokomo
- Day 6: Sotto's Porcetto Sandwich
- Day 5: Attari Sandwich Shop
- Day 4: Godmother Sub at Bay Cities Deli
- Day 3: True Food Kitchen
- Day 2: Porchetta at Mozza2Go
- Day 1: Cole's vs. Philippe's
Elina Shatkin is a staff writer at LA Weekly. Follow her at @elinashatkin or contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.