Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 12/26-12/30
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "I am imagining six years as an ABD in Dumpling Science, and my fear smells a lot like goose noodle soup. Or is that what's simmering downstairs on the stove?" The World in Dumplings: Or, Not Living By XLB Alone.
- "Very sad news: One of Los Angeles' best known and most loved neighborhood restaurants is going out of business." Evan Kleiman's Angeli Caffe to Close.
- "Why is it called Blowfish? And why can't you just chug some espresso with a few actual aspirin? Ah, the mysteries of advertising." Blowfish: FDA Approves Hangover Cure (No It's Not Fugu).
- "The flavors at this shop come in vibrant candyish hues, sporting names that sound like particularly festive planets in the Star Wars universe. Rajbhog? Chikoo?" 10 Best Ice Cream & Gelato Shops in L.A.
- "Like National Coffee Day, summing up the Year in Coffee compels a certain knee-jerk response: every year is the year in coffee." The Year in Coffee: The Revolution Will Be Caffeinated.
- "That last dish he devoured, declared it the least appetizing thing he had ever eaten, politely asked if we were eating ours, and proceeded to eat that too." Q & A With Survivor Coach Benjamin Wade: The Survivor Diet, Eating Termites + $320 Chicken Parmesan.
- "Over the past few years, sales of mass-produced beer (Bud, Miller, Coors and the like) are down along with housing, investments and other barometers of economic growth. Guess what is not down? Craft breweries." Top Hops: Best 5 New Craft Beer Bars of 2011.
- "And don't forget that "refugiado" strudel, the Porto family's homage to Cuban guava marmalade and to their new cream cheese strudel-filled life in Southern California." 10 Best Pastry Shops In L.A.