The Kettle: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 27)
The Kettle is the sort of upscale neighborhood coffee shop where you might on a typical weekday night find a cross-section of Manhattan Beach society all under the same roof: a longtime couple on date night, a multi-generational family stretched across a long table, a high school choir fresh from their winter chorale, assorted loners and late-night gluttons. A stone's throw from the boardwalk, The Kettle encompasses multitudes -- in its clientele and its menu.
Guzzle & Nosh The pot roast dip sandwich at The Kettle.
The menu stretches across several pages. Want cappelini and clams for lunch? Craving a plate of sweet, crisp buttermilk fried chicken for elevenses? Need buffalo wings at 2 a.m.? You can have it all at almost any time because The Kettle is open 24 hours a day.
In addition to their round-the-clock hours, The Kettle, with its instantly recognizable sign, is known for three of its sandwiches. We've already discussed plenty of pastrami in this series (Langer's, Oinkster, The Hat, Johnnie's, Brent's). The Kettle's famous walnut turkey salad boasts two elements we seldom eat and never write about: mayonnaise and raisin bread. For us, it's all about the pot roast dip.
It's a big, solid hunk of beef -- the Fabio of pot roasts -- but it falls apart in tender chunks with every bite. It's served on a standard French roll smeared with horseradish mayo and your choice of side (we prefer the seasoned fries). That alone would be enough to vault it into the upper echelons, but it comes with a generous cup of jus: thin, dark brown and not too salty. Like all the best dip sandwiches, it doesn't require jus to enhance its flavor or softness, yet the jus is somehow utterly integral. Dip, double-dip, triple-dip: this is a sandwich that deserves frequent dunking and even more frequent eating.
- Day 26: The Farmer at Daily Dose
- Day 25: Breakfast Sandwich at Eggslut
- Day 24: Pastrami at Brent's Deli
- Day 23: Cook's Tortas
- Day 22: Al Pastor at King Torta
- Day 21: Brisket at Gjelina
- Day 20: Banh Mi at Spice Table
- Day 19: Tonkatsu Sandwich at Wako Donkasu
- Day 18: Panini at Angeli Caffe
- Day 17: ink.sack
- Day 16: Tuna Salad at Luca's Fresh Bites
- Day 15: PBJ at Joan's on Third
- Day 14: Larder at Maple Drive
- Day 13: Hot Mamma Pastrama Locali
- Day 12: Pastrami at Langer's vs. Oinkster
- Day 11: The Hat vs. Johnnie's Pastrami
- Day 10: Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich at Pann's
- Day 9: Po'boys at The Gumbo Pot
- Day 8: Waffle Sandwich at Shaky Alibi
- Day 7: Kobb Salad Sandwich at Kokomo
- Day 6: Sotto's Porcetto Sandwich
- Day 5: Attari Sandwich Shop
- Day 4: Godmother Sub at Bay Cities Deli
- Day 3: True Food Kitchen
- Day 2: Porchetta at Mozza2Go
- Day 1: Cole's vs. Philippe's
Elina Shatkin is a staff writer at LA Weekly. Follow her at @elinashatkin or contact her at email@example.com.