Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 6/4 - 6/8
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "The different ways in which starch is coaxed out of slivered potatoes using vats of high-temperature fat reflect the variety of our city itself, and tastes and preferences are entirely subjective." 10 Best French Fries in Los Angeles.
- "David R. Chan can't use chopsticks. 'I can't hold them properly,' Chan says. 'It hasn't really been a problem, though. Chinese restaurants usually have forks available.'" Meet David R. Chan: The Man Who Has Eaten at Over 6,000 Chinese Restaurants.
- "The poll may have been influenced by the fact most of the people questioned were also sent a link to the Saturday Night Live sketch The Californians." Venn Food Diagram: Eastside Versus Westside Los Angeles.
- "There are many things that go into waiting tables. Juggling a zillion things at once, both literally and figuratively; maintaining your sanity while acting as the go-between for petulant children (customers) and an angry parent (chefs); appearing to be pleasant when you've just been stiffed for something entirely not your fault." The Mark of a Great Waiter: Emotional Intelligence.
- "Let's just get right to the point and tease up an apricot flame war: The Robada apricot is better than the Blenheim." What's in Season at the Farmers Market: Apricot Flame Wars + Tenerelli Is Back.
- "As significant as farmers markets are in reintroducing seasonality to our diet, it is the neighborhood market that regularly holds us over when times call for lingonberry syrup or injera bread." 7 Great Los Angeles Ethnic Markets.
- "Anyway, do not forget to order the bĂ¤zole, no matter how much you've ordered. Write the word (It's got an umlaut! It's trademarked!) on your hand in Sharpie if you have to." 91: Baco Mercat's Bazole.
- "We wanted a regular BLT, a side of plain chips and a reprint of The New Yorker's article on flavor factories instead." Lay's Classic BLT Flavored Chips vs. a BLT Sandwich.