Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 6/4 - 6/8
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "The different ways in which starch is coaxed out of slivered potatoes using vats of high-temperature fat reflect the variety of our city itself, and tastes and preferences are entirely subjective." 10 Best French Fries in Los Angeles.
- "David R. Chan can't use chopsticks. 'I can't hold them properly,' Chan says. 'It hasn't really been a problem, though. Chinese restaurants usually have forks available.'" Meet David R. Chan: The Man Who Has Eaten at Over 6,000 Chinese Restaurants.
- "The poll may have been influenced by the fact most of the people questioned were also sent a link to the Saturday Night Live sketch The Californians." Venn Food Diagram: Eastside Versus Westside Los Angeles.
- "There are many things that go into waiting tables. Juggling a zillion things at once, both literally and figuratively; maintaining your sanity while acting as the go-between for petulant children (customers) and an angry parent (chefs); appearing to be pleasant when you've just been stiffed for something entirely not your fault." The Mark of a Great Waiter: Emotional Intelligence.
- "Let's just get right to the point and tease up an apricot flame war: The Robada apricot is better than the Blenheim." What's in Season at the Farmers Market: Apricot Flame Wars + Tenerelli Is Back.
- "As significant as farmers markets are in reintroducing seasonality to our diet, it is the neighborhood market that regularly holds us over when times call for lingonberry syrup or injera bread." 7 Great Los Angeles Ethnic Markets.
- "Anyway, do not forget to order the bäzole, no matter how much you've ordered. Write the word (It's got an umlaut! It's trademarked!) on your hand in Sharpie if you have to." 91: Baco Mercat's Bazole.
- "We wanted a regular BLT, a side of plain chips and a reprint of The New Yorker's article on flavor factories instead." Lay's Classic BLT Flavored Chips vs. a BLT Sandwich.