Susan Boyle Is Far More Influential Than Julian Assange in Time's Popularity Contest
The current Top Ten most influential people in the entire world, as per the Time website is:
1. South Korean musician and performer Rain
2. Taiwanese director-singer-songwriterJay Chou
3. British singer Susan Boyle
4. Buddhist nun and philanthropist Cheng Yen
5. Pop star and actor Beyoncé
6. Chris Colfer, openly gay actor who plays gay character on Glee
7. Pundit and outspoken atheist Christopher Hitchens
8. Bradley Manning , who is currently awaiting charges for his alleged role in the Wikileaks scandal
9. Performer and musician Lady Gaga
10. Julian Assange, spokesperson for the Wikileaks organization
Some initial observations. This is a list of what is supposed to be the ten most influential people in the entire world, according to Time.com readers. Musicians are over-represented--half of the top ten are musicians. There are no presidents or prime ministers, no parliamentarians or senators, no UN officials, and no heads of state.
Another observation: Susan Boyle, who catapulted to international fame two years ago when she demonstrated that unattractive people could indeed have nice singing voices, is ranked higher than Julian Assange, whose Wikileaks site published information about such events as extrajudicial killings in Kenya, toxic waste dumping in Côte d'Ivoire, Guantanamo Bay procedures, and American diplomatic misdeeds.
And not one, not two, but three musicians are ranked as more globally influential than Christopher Hitchens, Bradley Manning, and Julian Assange.
What does this say about the power of music to change the world?
Who do you think the most influential people should be?